Steamed fish is listed as one of the most popular Jamaican dishes. The most popular types of Jamaican steamed fish are red snapper, goatfish, and parrotfish. The fish is usually steamed with vegetables of choice, including, okra, pumpkin, carrots, and bell pepper. There are several ways to prepare this dish. However, in this recipe, I use pumpkin-flavored soup mix to add a little extra flavour!
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Servings: 2
Ingredients: Jamaican steamed fish
- Clean and wash fish with vinegar. Season with salt, black pepper and fish seasoning.
- Prep all vegetables and set aside.
- Add butter to pot on low heat followed by garlic, pepper, pimento berries and thyme leaves. Stir for a minute.
- Add onion and tomatoes and stir for a minute.
- Add 1/4 cup water and sieved soup mix to pot.
- Add Fish to Pot along with remainder of ingredients, cover and steam on low heat for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
- Enjoy your Jamaican steamed fish!