This easy to prepare recipe produces golden brown, crispy, crunchy, juicy and spicy pieces of fried chicken that will captivate your taste. Fried chicken is a favorite cuisine of people all over the globe, and this recipe stands out. Jamaican Life and Travel list fried chicken as one of Jamaica’s 12 most popular dishes.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Servings: 10 pieces
Ingredients: Fried Chicken
- Step 1: Clean chicken in the mixture of vinegar and water.
- Step 2: Place chicken in a large bowl along with scallion, onion, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, salt and chicken seasoning.
- Step 3: Mix chicken and seasoning with a spoon or with hands until all pieces of chicken are well coated: cover the bowl tightly and place in the fridge to marinate for about 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Step 4: Pour 1 cup of milk on the marinated chicken and rub in.
- Step 5: Put the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice seasoning and black pepper in a large bowl and whisk contents together.
- Step 6: Dip each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour.
- Step 7: Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Step 8: Heat oil in a deep fryer or cast-iron skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Temperature will drop once chicken is added.
- Step 9: Place chicken carefully and slowly in the hot oil, using a thong: fry chicken pieces in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the skillet.
- Step 10: Fry the chicken until golden brown, turning once, 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces. Chicken is done when it is no longer pink inside and its juices run clear. You may do a test by piercing chicken with fork.
- Step 11: Drain the fried chicken pieces on paper towels set on a wire rack.
- Step 12: Let chicken cool before serving.